REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A BUILDING PERMIT
- Proof of ownership or authorized agent representing property is required.
- The applicant must complete a Uniform Construction Permit Application (download via link at top of page). All questions must be completed since all information provided determines issuance of the permit.
- Building Plans and list of Materials must be submitted with the application.
- A Plot Plan on a separate sheet showing size and location of all structures, either on-lot sewage or public sewer tie in, on-lot water well and distance to property lines (hand drawn is acceptable).
- Copy of Workers’ Compensation Certificate (download via link at top of page).
- Copy of the Erosion and Sedimentation Plan and approval letter from the County.
- If the application is for a New Home, a septic system permit issued by the Sewage Enforcement Officer or evidence of a tapping or connection fee being paid to the respective public sewer entity must be submitted with the application. A road crossing permit may be required for excavating to a sewer tap or water tap. Check with LTL staff for requirements in your Municipality (local and State).
- If the application is for a New Home, a copy of the well permit issued by the authorized well permit department must be attached.
- If the application is for additions involving bedrooms, Sewage Enforcement Officer must also verify by letter, the adequacy of existing on lot septic systems prior to the issuance of permit.
- An Electrical Permit is required with all residential and commercial building permits. The application will be provided with the permit application.
- A Plumbing Permit is required with all residential and commercial building permits. The application will be provided with the permit application.
- A Driveway Permit is required for any new driveway. If the driveway abuts a State Route, a PennDOT Highway Occupancy Permit is required.
- The applicant should have stakes placed at the corners where the structure is to be built. The building inspector will check this stakeout before the building permit will be issued.
- If the proposed construction is for a non-residential building, a Land Development Plan is required.
- If a Non-Residential building is to be constructed, the application must submit a set of construction drawings to which an architect or engineer has applied his seal.
Most Permit fees are based on square footage using the rate in the Municipality schedule of Fees. Payment is required upon issuance of permit and prior to construction. All fees shall be payable to the Municipality.
Permits shall be granted or refused within 30 days as per the Uniform Construction Code requirements after the written application has been submitted and determined complete. Permits are issued for one (1) year and may be renewed annually up to three times. LTL makes every effort to process and issue permits within 10 working days. Questions regarding permits can be directed to LTL @ 610-987-9290 or 888-987-8886.
Remember PA One-Call before excavating, 1-800-242-1776, www.paonecall.org.